Sunday, February 21, 2010

Out of Favors in Finding Gaza Party Favors




A piece I wrote about the little sorties of Gaza that goes unnoticed under the blockade on the people of Gaza.

I sat to write about the things I had to go through to find party favors in Gaza for my engagement this summer. I was reluctant to put the story on the Huff post as I thought it might be too personal, but then I said what would be the problem if they had said no. Fortunately, I was glad to see many non-politcal websites and blogs pick up the story and re-post it. I must say thanks to my freind from college Clay for his edits on the draft I sent his way

Summer in Gaza is the season of wedding and engagement parties. Just like the rest of the world, Palestinians enjoy celebrating the happy occasions with flowers, music, dancing, food and gifts. During my summer in Gaza, while I was stuck there for more than four months, I noticed that wedding parties provide the only venue where Palestinians could celebrate free of politics and free of sorrow, allowing themselves to escape a dim reality of a life under siege. I know especially well because while there I planned my own engagement party -- booking a party hall on the sandy Gaza beach, hiring a DJ, a photographer and caterer as well as ordering a cake. In it all I had to deal with the reality of Gaza where many services have been affected by the siege and where limited goods are allowed into the narrow strip of land.


Here is the link

0 comments:

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template