Tuesday, May 29, 2007

DC Shows

So, last night was my second show for the weekend here in DC, my other one on Saturday and both went well. I have gotten so many positive feedbacks and laughs in both shows not to say that I did not have to patch some jokes up and reintroduce them.

The Saturday was in a lounge and a bar scene in downtown Washington DC, there was good audience who was there for the show. There were about ten comics and it was a contest, until now I do not know how won, but probably it would not be me. On Saturday the comics many of them were vulgar and offensive on so many levels, some were even explicit and graphic, something I do not find in myself. I was told by some of the audience, including my friend Lindsay and Nawer and his wife Camille that I good a good feedback, but remember they are my friends they won't tell me the truth. When I watched the other comics, I was like "what the heck I cannot believe this, what is she or he talking about" Some of the comics even had notes and were reading from them. I thought my comic club back, at BYU Humor U were much professional and funnier than many on the Saturday crowd. I honestly, felt that the Saturday crowd was tough and someone was paying them not to laugh. But I felt good about the routine, although some of my jokes are much funnier in Utah than here and the other way around. Take for example the "No, senor, I do not see any Arabs here" in Utah that was golden....here it wasn't so, still good though. In that night there were a number of Jewish comics who had great material and I laughed so hard, but the audience was like "So what?" I really thought the audience could do better and give some courtesy to people trying to entertain them.

There was an older white couple sitting in the front, these guys won't stop laughing at my jokes even when everyone was like "What?" I felt confidence by looking at these guys; I do not have reasons to believe that they had too much to drink.

On Monday show, I loved it. I liked the audience and the sitting, it was in a coffee show and there was a mix of people on racial and age background, something I came to love. I had four friends join me there and show support. The comics were all college age and were fun. Lots of female comics, although I still think Andrea my friend from BYU tops them all. They comics were great, some where testing new material which I have learned to be dangerous. Some of the jokes were great and even gave me ideas for new material. There was a great comic who did impersonation and he was my favorite. A lot of the comedians come from improve background and have done this before and always looking for participation for the audience which is important to get people's attention. I came to be the second to last, so I started my routine and I can tell that the audience was much better than the ones on Saturday night. This club is based on DuPont Circle in the heart of Washington DC. I had to make fun of my co worker who was laugi8ng like crazy and tell the audience that she is my sister. After I was done, an older white man smiled upon me and told me good job "what is it about older white men and me?" When I was about to leave the guy who coordinates the event asked me to come back and do some more stand up with them, he was pleased and I guess I liked the place and atmosphere. So I might be doing it again.

A thought, I think, the guys at Humor U club back at BYU were much more respectful of other people, ethnicities and preferences. Some of the comics I saw were offensive and I know they know that, but what makes them think they can get a way with it? I ma not sure, but this is just a note.

0 comments:

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template