Sunday, May 29, 2011

Blacks and Watermelon



I have heard in the past that African Americans love watermelon, and I was like then I am an African American then. Ever since I was a little boy I have fallen in love with this very sweet treat. But then I thought about warmer places and how people love to cool by eating watermelon. You go to Fourth of July and there are Indian selling watermelon.

Not sure if the stereotype sticks, I am guessing all people love watermelon. But today I had an interesting encounter.

I was doing produce shopping for the week and there were those nice big watermelon and I knew this would make a nice summer treat. I grabbed it, it was $5.99 no tax. As I walked home three African Americans stopped me to ask me one question, "Where did you get the watermelon from?" One guy stopped his car to ask me, two girls were checking out the watermelon and saying "Wow!"

I passed by a lot of Mexican street vendor selling sliced watermelon and mango. No one asked me about the watermelon....I will kill the watermelon as soon as I can and would like to remind you the whitest people I know happen to also like watermelon.

2 comments:

Mary on May 31, 2011 at 10:17 AM said...

M.a.m.a-Mia..I love watermelon, it is one of the best fruit I love, it cools you up during summer, try to eat watermelon, feta cheese and bread, it is y.a.m.e. When I was in the boarding school, they use to give it to us for dinner and it was the best dinner, I never forget and I am still eating it now.

Anonymous said...

i love walter melton.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template