Monday, February 25, 2008

Samuel Johnson



I stumbled upon a British literary figure, he is little known with the public, but he is the second quoted man after Shakespeare! He has a lot of books and his master piece what his work on a major English dictionary...he list in 1709-1784. I found a lot of his quotes that I thought are either inspirational or interesting. I do have to admit that what he has to say about women is kind of old school, but still holds true with some. And the last three quotes of his I think speak of the conditions of politics in America and Gaza. I hope you find these quotes of value, I know I have learned something

Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

A man is in general better pleased when he has a good dinner upon his table, than when his wife talks Greek.

A man may be so much of everything that he is nothing of anything.

A man of genius has been seldom ruined but by himself.

Being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned.

I have to agree with that one, since I have never been in a boat for longer than one hour

By taking a second wife he pays the highest compliment to the first, by showing that she made him so happy as a married man, that he wishes to be so a second time.

I have nothing to do with this!

Exercise is labor without weariness.

He that undervalues himself will undervalue others, and he that undervalues others will oppress them.

Great line, I think all dictators and spouse abusers have a low self-esteem. Also see that Dictators are frustrated idealists

He, who does not mind his belly, will hardly mind anything else.

That's why people need to work out....if you do not care for what goes on with your own body, why would you give a darn about anything else?

He who praises everybody, praises nobody.

I really agree with that one, someone should tell BYU professors that

He who waits to do a great deal of good at once will never do anything.

Get it to it now!

I will be conquered; I will not capitulate.

I hope Olmert and Israel defense minister see this.

I never desire to converse with a man who has written more than he has read.

I swear I do read...news mainly and some books about grammar

I would not give half a guinea to live under one form of government other than another. It is of no moment to the happiness of an individual.

Libertarian Go Ron Paul...

If pleasure was not followed by pain, who would forbear it?

In order that all men may be taught to speak the truth, it is necessary that all likewise should learn to hear it.

I love this....this is true, no one even tell you or train you to hear the truth, only to say it

It is better that some should be unhappy rather than that none should be happy, which would be the case in a general state of equality.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

It is better to suffer wrong than to do it, and happier to be sometimes cheated than not to trust.

I see what he is saying, but I really do not like the victim mentality...like people who like to be perceived as "victims" or helpless

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.

To all my heroes goes this one...there are few

Let me smile with the wise, and feed with the rich.

Love is only one of many passions.

Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise.

Nature has given women so much power that the law has very wisely given them little.

I do not know about that one, but it sounds like a good pick line that would only work on someone that you are better off without

Praise, like gold and diamonds, owes its value only to its scarcity.

The future is purchased by the present.

The natural flights of the human mind are not from pleasure to pleasure, but from hope to hope.

There are some sluggish men who are improved by drinking; as there are fruits that are not good until they are rotten.

I love that one...he is right on the money!

To keep your secret is wisdom; but to expect others to keep it is folly.

Do not tell me your secrets, please even if I tell you otherwise!

To love one that is great, is almost to be great one's self.

To strive with difficulties, and to conquer them, is the highest human felicity.

Treating your adversary with respect is striking soft in battle.

I think my gal Hillary has read that one...

While grief is fresh, every attempt to divert only irritates. You must wait till it be digested, and then amusement will dissipate the remains of it.

Whoever thinks of going to bed before twelve o'clock is a scoundrel.

Your manuscript is both good and original; but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.

No people can be great who have ceased to be virtuous.
—Samuel Johnson, on the behavior of the British colonists in America; "An Introduction to the Political State of Great Britain.

A fly may sting a stately horse and make him wince; but one is but an insect, and the other is a horse still.

And my favorite and Something Obama should quote more often when confronted with not wearing a flag pin

"Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are all good proverb except one that I don't agree, (Love is one of many passions) like what, passion for eating, passion for reading, passion for watching movies or may be passion for cooking and so on.... anyway the real Love is not one of many passions, love is unique it does not come when you want it like cooking or reading, it comes suddenly without expecting it and no warning. Just for your information.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template