Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Smoking Gaza




I have always been frustrated by the fact that at least 40% of Palestinians living in the occupied territories smoke on regular basis. Other than the obvious health risks for the smokers and second hand smokers, there is the painful economics of smokers. People spend a significant portion of their income on tobacco products--money that can be used to purchase food for example. but then, I was thinking that if the people back home did not smoke, what else would they do to release stress and pressure? It's not like there are gyms, movie theater, parks, malls or other outlets. I can live with the fact that the people are smoking their life and their life savings away, but the alternative is much uglier.

As non-smoker, I do recognize that those who smoke find peace and tranquility in the tobacco products. The situation is so dire that, I think that if those who smoke to release their stress, are no longer able to do so, we will have a problem! I think they might be more violent, might be tougher on their children, or even rough with their significant other. Those are all things I would rather not see, but till that day I say "No, Habibi,smoke baby smoke"

0 comments:

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template