Thursday, March 20, 2008

Israelis and Apples; Arabs and Cigarettes


The other day, I was flipping through pages of the magazine "Popular Mechanic" and saw an interesting advertisement for some smoke brand. As a non-smoker, I often ignore these ads; however, the big disclaimer about the danger of the cigarettes caught my eyes. It made me think of the political situation back home and how both sides make their case. Here in the States, it feels to me that when an Israeli speaks about the conflict, it's as easy as selling apples, not one argues with you, the facts are on your side, and the job is already done for you. Just as the apple sellers, you only need to exhibit your apples, and they will be sold. Now on the other hand, for a Palestinian making the case for Palestine is like trying to sell tobacco. You are always expected to have a disclaimer of how dangerous your good are. In other words, Palestinians have to condemn themselves before they start promoting their goods (the tobacco.

It is unfortunate, because I know many Palestinians we are good people, and hard working people, we love our country, but also love other countries and serve them wherever we reside. No one ever understand this, when the few Palestinians kill an Israeli (every human loss is tragic), they look bad and they should. Israel on the other hand, can get away with anything; they can kill tens and hundreds, and yet somehow manage to look good!

I do like apples, my dad is a smoker, but tobacco is not a Palestinian invention... it's not an invention that anyone needs...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Israel on the other hand, can get away with anything; they can kill tens and hundreds, and yet somehow manage to look good!"

I hope and pray that that doesn't last for much longer. I think the majority of people who don't have a problem with Israel just haven't ever learned anything about Israel.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template