Thursday, March 06, 2008

A Solution Looking for a Problem



In one of my Human Resource class, we were told of a legal case in Utah, where an employee of Gold's Gym was asked in many occasions by her superiors to show more skin and cleavage in order to attract male gym patrons. Good for her! I think she did the right thing.

To reflect that such practice, asking women to reveal more, and dress in a revealing matter, creates unfair pressure on females. So in order for a business to bolster (usually men owned), attracting more men to a business, necessitate women to show more. I know this is a practice for business in third world countries, I have seen in some Arab countries where they hire and only hire good looking females as sale associates...in order to lure men to buy things or consume things they might not buy otherwise; Sort of using the Hooters strategy. I have to say though that the women clothing stores and boutiques that tend to do well back home are usually owned and operated by a good looking, young, charismatic man.

That leaders me to say that the more traditional an area is, the more women are expected to bear with. This is something both developed and underdeveloped nations have in common, treating females differently. Even in the States women still get paid less for same work performed by men.

Also back home, a great deal women with higher education tend to get higher dowries...I guess because they are viewed as cash cows. I have a problem with that, accept that Islam told us not to interfere in the dowry, nor sit a limit. Women can ask for as much dowry as they see suitable. However, you still can negotiate a dowry, my dad would go with friends of his to negotiate dowries for their sons and make a deal.

I hope things will change for better

0 comments:

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template