Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Does Halal Meat Makes You A Bigger Jerk?




I love Halal food, food that comes from a non forbidden source. However, I don't put up a fight when I cannot find it. I just go with the flow. Here's the deal, if I am in a Muslim owned store, I expect Halal food, it's what the owner says. I have little means to find out if the food is Muslim certified. I just have to have faith.

Those people I am speaking of make Islam seem like a handicap, not a religion about tolerance. For example, in France, many Muslims would put up a fight about being served Halal food. Their right, but they neglect in the process they come across as unreasonable, and wanting to be different than everyone else.

On one of my trips Roa and I met a French couple who were surprised that as Muslims we can eat regular meat from the grocery store (no pork of course), they thought we only can eat food killed by a Muslim person. That mentality shocked me. Then there are those people I have met who make sure to tell you "You are doing it wrong", "My Way or the highway" attitude. There's a room in Islam for both of us to be right, I choose to go with the license, they decide to make it difficult on themselves and amuse the rest of us.

But I found that people who strive for Halal food often miss the point of religion, which is to be a good example of tolerance. So often, you will hear Muslims living in non Muslim countries stressing the importance of Halal food. They feel they are entitled to, like the country owes it to them to cater to their needs.

Again, this is a business decision, if there is demand for something, supply will soon follow. However, I cannot be a jerk about it, if a store doesn't have such food, we can go with the license to eat food of the people of the book. But eating Halal food while being a jerk in the process does more damage to Islam than not eating Halal food.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is about choices,whatever you chose to eat its between you and your creator but where in the Quran or sunna does it say you can eat NON-HALAAL meat?? State the facts not opinions

Anonymous said...

islam is about submission. doesnt matter what others think of you ask much as it matters what ur Lord thinkis of you. the only time non halal is made halal is when ur DYING and theres nothing else to it. if you dont take the TROUBLE to or make the EFFORT than ull have to answer to Allah. and what do you mean 'your way or the highway'? isalm has rules. if ur muslim, u follow the rules. dont like it, leave, theres no space for difference in opinion, its not ur opinion, its word of LAW from GOD.

Anonymous said...

The Quran teaches that God is extremely displeased with those who prohibit anything that was not specifically prohibited in the Quran (16:116). The upholding of any prohibitions not specifically mentioned in the Quran is tantamount to idolatry (6:148-150). Such prohibitions represent some other god(s) beside God. Worshipping God Alone means upholding His Laws alone.

The prohibited food and meat is detailed in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115. From these verses we have a clear account of what is halal (lawful) and what is haram (prohibited).

"He only prohibits for you the eating of animals that die of themselves (without human interference), blood, the meat of pigs, and animals dedicated to other than God. If one is forced (to eat these), without being malicious or deliberate, he incurs no sin. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful." 2:173

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template