Sunday, May 18, 2008

Compass vs. Narnia





I just got off the movie theater after watching the new Narnia movie. The book is based on the book by C.S. Lewis, who wrote about Christianity among other things. Clearly, this movie, its prequel, and upcoming sequel you can notice the references to then Christina faith all over. As little as I know the Christina faith from what I remember from my religion classes at BYU, I enjoyed the movies as movies and as spiritually uplifting experiences.

Last December, I have also seen "The Golden Compass", the other movies that was the atheists rebuttal for the C.S. Lewis. Written by Philip Pullman who reportedly said his book was written to "Kill God" I have also enjoyed this movie, and not because it kills God.

For me, these two movies go hand in hand because the Narnia is about faith and its essence. How the individuals have to rely on faith even thought, it might not work for them or even come a bit late. The Golden Compass on the other hand, does not take issue with faith, but with organized religion and its abuse of power. So in my opinion, they compliment each other, spirituality is personal, religion can be. I have always took issues with the "elites" of religious groups who prey on people's faith. and that is where Golden Compass scored hight with me. Narnia on the other hand reaffirmed that importance of faith, not the kind that tells you to follow blindly. Remember, I only saw the movies, I did not read the books so things might be different. I might not have learned anything new from both movies, but I have liked the visual feasts that both movies introduce.

P.S. I saw a clear analogy in my own mind about how the Narnians in their struggle are like the Palestinians, they get the shi* beaten out of them, and things come to the wire!

0 comments:

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template