Saturday, May 03, 2008

Divorce This



I am against divorce in practice, but for it in principle. In other words, people should have the option of divorce, it never should be taken from the table, but mediation should also be on the table. It is surprising that divorce advocates find happiness in divorce, but if this is true then their marriage from which they are trying to break free has to be madness.

Having said that, I think in the Western countries (mainly US, since Europeans rarely get married) the divorce rate is too high, back home, divorce rate is too low.

I think both parties should have the right to divorce each other. Because like the nuclear weapons, countries we have it, will not use it against anyone else who has it.

No one should have to endure humiliation, mistreatment, and infidelity from their partner. Hence, there is no need to feel locked in unhappy marriage. I think that some people chose comfort over pleasure and that's why people might stay in a bad marriage.

I have to admit that it is much harder for a divorced person to find a new partner, women have it harder back home because of the social context. For example, a divorced women or a widow in some Muslim communities cannot move freely without having a chaperon. A practice to shut people who might suspect a immoral behavior. I kind of do not like that, but it is a system that works and has been working for ages.

Truth is, there is no assurances or guarantees that a divorce won't happen. I used to think that I am immune, but I know that I change and I know that others change as well. That is why in Islam they call divorce "the permissible yet resented Act" which only to testify to the complexity of this practice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I myself don't believe in marriage but I had to get married because if I don't my family will think I don't like men or I am not a virgin and they will disowne me so I got married to a nice man who loves me unfortunately after three months of our marriage my husband was the opposite, anyway two people they are better off living together with out getting married because I knew several people where together for many years and they had kids one day they decided to get married, they where married for one year then one day they decided to get divorced, all their friends and family where shocked, they could not stand each other, that is what they said, family asked them how did you stand each other when you where living together with out getting married for a couple of years, they did not know just now found out they could not live together.

Anonymous said...

I think that marriage can be great, but like you said, sometimes things go wrong. I think that many people give up way too easily on marriage when it isn't easy, and get a divorce. This is a silly practice, and it can be very hurtful for those around them.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template