Monday, December 01, 2008

Free Food For Those Who Can Afford It....But

I became upset upon learning that the Palestinian Mission in Washington DC, will be holding a banquet, an event that will be attendance by many leaders in the Arab and American political scene in Washington, DC. Usually, I would cheer such events because they raise the profile of the Palestinian issue and generate some good media coverage. But my sole concern about the event is the timing. No, I am not mad because I did not get invited or because they will be serving food that I do no like. But it's unfortunate that hard working people of Gaza are starving in the dark and those who sympathize with them are stuffing themselves in a fancy hotel. It's insensitive and you know that people will jump on this to point the alienation between the Palestinians as people and their leadership.

I do like receptions and banquets, I go to as many as I can since it's now about reception season, but I am just not feeling it in my heart to go eat overpriced meal as an over rated hotel to celebrate the Palestinian cause. I think with that kind of out of touch mentality, we are better off celebrating the cause at a funeral home, not a five star hotel.

1 comments:

Kate Challis on December 1, 2008 at 11:38 PM said...

I agree with you. It kind of comes down to the same thing with banquets and charity dinners for starving people in Africa or Asia. I think that what they should have is a fast, where they donate the money they would have spent to the charity.

BTW I read your blog all the time. It's great! Falah from BYU told me about it. I was a MESA major at BYU, lived 6 months in Jordan, and got a job teaching middle schoolers Arabic in Lehi, UT. Weird, right?

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template