Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Gaza Toast



My family is well, but as you know far from safe...all my uncles now live with us, since they relocated from their Hamas dominated neighborhood, ours is not so much of a target area. Two distant cousins have been killed, one lives in el zaton area of Gaza city, I did not know either of them, but I know their parents.

People will wait this out, I check with my family every few hours. I spoke to more people in the past 24 hours that I have in a month. Although the fear is both real and near, those who I spoke do, are resilient.

Since people in our town of residence are land owners and farmers, they have everything to lose if the Israelis entered the town, so not much fighting goes near my house. Occasionally though if their is a ground invasion, they Israelis will camp near our neighborhood (it's a hill)

The area where my uncles live (my uncles own a five story building with 10 apartments) is a block away from a local mosque and an area with lots of families that lost a family member to the constant fighting with the Israelis. So to make a long story even longer, the Israelis target the area regularly. Their building wasn't targeted, but was rocking like a 70s band. Needless to say, their apartments do not have windows anymore.

My mom was really worried because the constant bombing is everywhere in Gaza and can be heard and seen either live in person of courtesy of the 24 hour cable networks (assuming there is power). My mom asked me to forgive them if they have done me wrong (something most Muslims do in their finally days before they kick the bucket) this is the first time mom mentions that which indicate how serious the threat they face.

While, I do care for the wellbeing of my family and residence of Gaza, I would be dishonest to claim that I am suffering, because I am not. It's painful, but I cannot let fear of the unknown ruin my life. In the meantime, I am grateful for the friends who have reached out to me to check on my family and please keep them in your prayers.

P.S. For those well meaning and kind hearted bloggers and activists who blame Fateh, Abbas, or Egypt for the carnage in Gaza, I say you are making a grave mistake...with all their imperfection, there is little any of those can do.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are thinking every minute of our friends in Gaza for their safety and in our prayers too, although we are no more in a war but we never forget. May God keep Gaza safe and our friends too.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template