Saturday, March 07, 2009

Snazzy The Homeless

Here are two pictures taken in a homeless shelter, where the always charming Michelle Obama, America’s first lady served food for the homeless kitchen. I really salute Michelle for her voluntary community service!

There are few things wrong with these pictures: a homeless man with a camera phone is snapping a photo of the First Lady. And the other guy in line is wearing a sharp, price-looking suit. Is this even at a homeless shelter? Or is she surrounded by actors in a studio?

I admit, it is not impossible for a homeless man to have a camera phone, especially in this economy. Or it could be a prepaid phone.

In picture two, you find a sharply dressed man getting food at the homeless kitchen. I would say at least 200 dollars is what he paid for the suit. If this is an old suite, I want to get his dry cleaners address!

Whatever happened to the homeless man we got used to? Were they booted out by the press handlers?

More likely, the camera phone holder and suited gentleman are part of the newly foreclosed, laid off class of folks being hit in every city.

As I write this, I know I sound naive asking such questions about the homeless (Urban Outdoorsmen as a friend calls them). You cannot blame me. As my mother used to quote Arabic proverb for me she would say, "When the poor man takes a rather big dump, people cannot help but ask, 'How is that possible?'"

2 comments:

Mary on March 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM said...

Good for her the first lady serving the homeless, also it is good for the President image, to show the white people how kind are the black people to thier own and about the man with a camera and the man with a suit I don't think they are not homeless, I think they are passer by or they could be FBI or CIA, afther all she is the President's wife and the first black lady in the United State of America that is a great honour to us black people.

Kellee on March 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM said...

In the 4+ years I’ve volunteered at Miriam’s Kitchen I’ve never seen a camera phone or a suit that nice, but I have seen clients with cell phones and in business dress. Just to get my facts straight, though, I spoke to head Chef Steve Badt during my shift this morning and he offered a few possible explanations. Many of our clients aren't homeless--they're low-income residents whose food stamps have run out, which is why our attendance always goes up at the end of the month. We actually have people take the bus over from southeast DC to enjoy fresh, nutritious meals. Many of our clients are homeless, but not broke. Vietnam War veterans get $200/month, which isn’t enough to live on but could be spent as frivolously as they chose. Also, some of our clients are being supported by members of their family but choose to remain homeless for various reasons. Many of our clients have mental health issues which go untreated, some by choice and some due to lack of funds. Miriam's Kitchen doesn't turn anyone away, though they do have a zero-tolerance policy if people misbehave to protect the volunteers. It's delicious food, if you don't mind standing in line and smelling your fellow diner. They also accept and distribute clothing donations, so it's POSSIBLE he recently received that suit for free.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template