Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Early Mothers Day Story



I was on the phone speaking to mom yesterday, when she mentioned that dad was eating his dinner, I asked her how to make the dish that dad was munching on (Mlookhyah). the moment I asked her, she was like "Oh Hani, I wish you are here to make you all these nice things and take care of you", needless to say she got emotional! I managed to distract her by one of my infamous techniques, she got over it

Now compare that with an American mother where her son asks her for a recipe, I would imagine that the American mother would be very pleased for two reasons. The first your son/daughter is learning to be independent. Second, by asking you how to make something, they are paying you a compliment!

Granted not all mothers are alike, but truth is, mother is like many women back home , they always see it as duty to do what women do, cooking is included in those duties.

I love my mom so very much, but you know I am older now and I can take care of things, but as they always say "You will always be a child to your parents" I am waiting for the day, where my mom worries less about me and my wellbeing, she has done so much already.

P.S. Palestinians celebrate Mothers day is March 21, 2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many people here in the US who will teach you how to cook Molukhia especial some of your friends here in DC but oh....not you, don't want to ask one of your friends you know who always cooks the dish, even you don't want to eat when they cook.

Anonymous said...

Um.....the food on the picture, when I saw it my mouth was watery and my stomach started groining although I just finished breakfast, it must be your Mom's cooking. Last Sunday was our Easter as we where fasting for forty days no meat etc....so we had a whole lamb and we share it with our neighbor from our country and we have plenty meat also we have Molkhia so, if you like we will be pleased to share it with you and you can cook it yourself at your place.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template