Thursday, February 12, 2009

If Life Throws Sesame Your Way......You Make.....




Calling my older sister Samah I learned that they are a number of tents that have been set up by some NGOs to house a number of families who lost their homes during the Israeli assault. She told me there are about 10 large tents to house the families, I think the UNDP is looking to compensate them for the damage to their property, but nothing happened so far. This is interesting because that part of town does not have any Palestinian refugees in it...the people who reside there are mostly land owners who hail from that town. Unlike my family and the majority of Gazans, we are refugees. I thought this is interesting because Israel did a service to the Palestinian people by making a new patch of refugees. In case those good folks wondered what the life of refugee like, now they know it in the first person account.
The reason I called her was to ask her if there are actual tents and second if the people in those tents need blankets. Some groups have asked an NGO for a grant of 10K to buy blankets. It turn out that there are plenty of blankets at those tents. So I informed my contact not to fund the blankets, but rather fund a better project. The tricky part is that most of the reconstruction material, the most needed items on the list, Israel wouldn’t let in because they think it will be used to build rockets. This is like banning matches because it can start a fire.

1 comments:

Mary on February 13, 2009 at 11:30 PM said...

Living in a tent is better than staying out side in the cold until they get help rebuilding their houses. Horrible war like this makes people disoriented with fear but with grace of God they will put their lives together.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template