Sunday, February 01, 2009

Picking Up The Pieces

Three out of four homes in our immediate neighborhood have lost a loved one; the fourth now stands without a roof. My mother's girlfriends confess to her (in the most confidential terms) that although they are grown women, they have wet their pants out of a fear of death on numerous occasions these past three weeks.

The rise of amputees throughout Gaza has sky-rocketed at such an alarming rate that my mother has altered her daily prayers and supplications to include simple things like: "Thank you for my arms and legs, and for my children who still have their arms and legs."

Grandpa says that people are so disoriented that they no longer recognize each other. "Three weeks of straight carnage, destruction, and horrors can only rob people of their innocence and sense of consciousness." Dad had worries of his own: his 33 grandchildren gathered around him hoping he would to keep them safe, something he promised them he would do. But I think he said it best when he told me: "If I can't even keep myself safe, how can I give them what I don't have??"

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not only the older women wet themselves also young and old men or women do that too in a horrible war like Gaza special when death comes. We hope God will compensate the Palestinians with peace, freedom long healthy life no more tears and worries, filled with laughter and roses, darkness will be bright and the the sun will shine for ever and ever with no end.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template