Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Nothing Like a Recession


Over the weekend, I met with few friends, I was surprised the rise of the number of friends of mine who are calling it a quit and heading home. A friend here who works in a local university, will be packing his bags and heading home, another in Utah who used to be a sales manager for Sprint...no got himself a job in Jerusalem and living la vida loca. The Nepalese Bank clerk where my work banks is leaving for few months to be with his family in Nepal. Those are only few of many others who are either going home or considering it seriously. I guess the economy helps bring people closer home, where they can get a job and wait this one out. I am glad to see my friends be united with their families at last, but soon enough all of my friends who come from abroad will be either returning or taking prolonged vacations. I am sure some are please to hear that some people are returning to their home countries which means less competition in the job market. I do not know, but with such talents going home might be a good thing for the local economy since those "know how" might actually do something that will help the local economy say start a business or offer a new service. So, a US recession is bad for most, but not everyone. I also think that since my friends who all are single will be heading home and most likely snatch some nice lady to wed to. So, otherwise, those women might have had to marry down the chain.

But as much as I want to go home, I do not think I will be going home anytime soon, I wish it would be the case for me. Here is why I won't be returning home anytime soon. I have a good job that I really like, that's one. Second, from the States I am doing things that I like for people I care about. Such things are both good for my career and for my country men. Third, Gaza is not a safe place right now. And if it was it is still depressing. I will be going to Gaza at some point, but the stories I hear are far more depressing when you get to see them in real time. Thus, unless something major happens (good or bad) I am not returning home to stay, I may visit, but that's just about it.

I guess In that sense, I am like the line from the Robert De Nero movie about the creation of the CIA "The Good Shepard", something to the affect,

The blacks have their heritage, the Hispanics have their music, the Italians have their food, what do you sir have? "When you guys all are gone, we still will have the United States" answered the young man.

1 comments:

Mary on February 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM said...

If you pray hard, one day you will go home, when peace shines over Palestine, no dust, no drought, water will flow and no check points then you will be able to go as much as you want in and out, INSHAALLAH.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template