Thursday, February 26, 2009

Updating Gaza

I just got of the phone with the family in Gaza and they are doing well, i made sure to ask about my countless nieces nephews. My younger sister is about to give birth, they think is a boy. School children now can submit a birth certificate for their under two year old siblings and the UNRWA will issue them stamps for milk and possibly other food supplies. I think it is the best way to do the food stamps through schools because it helps families tie school to food stamps, which means they will probably keep their children in school. I think this is a really good model that makes sure that the aid not only feed those who need it but also achieve other long-term goals.

My cousin Wisam who is doing a PhD in Malaysia has just managed to get his wife out of Gaza to join him with the kids. It took her 12 hours to get to Cairo; few days to finalize the travel arrangements; $1800 in airfares; 12 hours on a plane; and 7 hours on a bus to get to where her husband is. She is m hero for the day.

My younger sister is waiting to be allowed into Egypt. She is planning to get a visa and buy an airline ticket to Norway--where her husband has been for the past 2 years. Her little girl Dima would be joining her. I know the distance and time away from her husband has been harsh on her. So I am hoping she can get her papers in order and get to be reunited with her husband in Norway--as someone who has visited can say is very very different from Gaza.

1 comments:

Mary on February 27, 2009 at 9:50 AM said...

Wow, that is great news. Those kids they are so beautiful. Thanks God everything is better in Gaza and thanks for letting us know what is going on there. I did not called them for a while, hopefully I will call them soon to hear more good news.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template