Monday, March 29, 2010

Gaza Ho Hos



Something that I noticed has gotten popular in Gaza is Ho Hos cakes made by Hostess Cakes. Hostess has a planet that bakes or manufactures these addictive cakes in Egypt. It's the one thing that smugglers know that will see in Gaza. People in Gaza take these as gifts when they exchange visits. A box of Ho Hos sells for about 2.5 bucks and makes an awesome gift as the kids love it.

My sister Samah knew that I enjoyed these so she would make sure to offer me some when I visit her home. I have gotten known for these even with the little kids, I would always bring them some as I come to visit them. Tiger Tail, another Hostess Cake product is also popular with the kids in Gaza, I did not enjoy it much however. Something about the chocolate and the creme in a Ho Ho that makes me happy.

This is not a very good thing for the local Gaza food factories as they used to make similar cookies and cakes that Palestinians have consumed. The Egyptian made Ho Hos kill the local industries that employees tens of families. most of those factories have shut down or have limited production as they are no longer able to bring in the material to produce cookies in Gaza. The one thing they can do is fortified cookies, as Israel allows the material for those to come in--humanitarian goods have easier time making it to Gaza.

No, I have not tried to score some Ho Hos since I have gotten back to the Stated, I do not even desire them here, but I know they made my day in Gaza.

0 comments:

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template