Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Saudis Paid Me To Go To The Opera!



A funny thing happened to me the other day, I told Kellee, a friend of mine who happens to enjoy the Opera that I hate the Opera. I felt bad for using that strong language to describe how much I do not understand Opera. I realize I am not alone in my lack of understanding or even appreciation for this fine art. But the thing is, I never connected with this form of art. Anyhow, ten days after my conversation with Kellee, an old friend of mine calls me, I have not spoken to this person in more than two years. Out of the blue he offers me four tickets for the Opera, a show at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. Those are fifty dollars each. Since Roa was at my office, she approved the idea and my freind came by to drop of the tickets.

This friend of mine happens to be an Italian American working for a DC based group that works on trade issues relevant to the Arab countries. He got his tickets from ARAMCO, the Saudi Energy company that has a global presence. It was ironic that the Saudis out of all people would be sending me to watch my first opera.

I went to the who and enjoyed it a lot. But her is the thing, it was not an opera, it was a play about Opera, the backstage of an opera what happens with the actors, their egos, politics, jealousies, insecurities, the writers, the art and the business of it all. Comedy, Drama and there was opera, but it was in the background.

"Terrence McNally's Nights at the Opera: Golden Age"

0 comments:

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template