Friday, January 16, 2009

How About You?




"How Are you?" asked my youngest brother Mahmoud when I spoke to him last time. Given that people I know have been asking me about my family How are they? So I did not brother to answer the question since Mahmoud and my entire family are under constant Israeli shelling. But then I reflected on Mahmoud's question:

I worry about how many calories the non fat salad dressing, I get when I order my salad at the local Pot Belly. But I know Mahmoud worries about not finding bread at his local bakery due to shortage of wheat and basic supplies in Gaza.

I worry about calling an ambulance if anything goes wrong with me out of fear that my insurance won't cover their costs. But I know the only thing Mahmoud heard when he called the ambulance, "Get a cab, we have more urgent uses for the ambulances."

I resent paying co-payment for my health insurance provided by my employer. And i know Mahmoud and thousands like him neither have health to insure nor an a employer to provide such benefit.

I fear a sore back from my pillow top queen mattress, but you Mahmoud fear the floor being too cold and you also fear that wherever you rest your head might be your final place on this earth.

I hate when I go home and my favorite episode of Family guy is not on. I am sure you neither have power nor TV in the house where you took refuge from random Israeli fire.

I get upset when how I miss the S2 bus by seconds, but I know you like it when you miss the F16 and the Ak47.

I am jealous of how skinny and fit you look because you do not eat well and run everywhere for your life.

I like how in the past 3 weeks, I think of you as an older brother since the things you saw can drive Grey.

I do not like it when the checkout cashiers have long lines, but I know that your grocery stores are empty of stock and people.

As a kid, I never liked going to school and I wanted to burn, I envy you since the Israeli already granted you that wish.

I get nervous when I do not have enough change to take the bus, but i know you do not have a clean change of clothes to wear.

I cannot make up my mind whether to shower in cold water or hot one, but that's something you would not relate to, since water does not run in the entire house.

I never enjoyed the worship time, but that's something you no longer worry about since Israel bombed most of our neighborhood mosques.

I freak out when I see the invoice for my rent, but Habibi, you won't worry about that since your landlord was killed last night.

I feel bad when the bank slaps me with an overdraft fee, but thanks to the siege on Gaza, banks over there got no currency so that won't be a problem anymore.

I struggle when I debate weather to buy organic or not organic foods, but I know your concept of organic food is the one grown with sewage water.

I get irritated when I see you hanging our with your 33 nephews and nieces who look up to you to keep them safe. While I am looking for better way to keep my little savings safe.

I know for me a Safeway and a Target are both places to hunt bargains,, but for you, finding a safe way is essential to avoid being hunted as a target for Israeli fire.

Taking the stairs is a a good exercise for my heart, but you always sleep under the staircase to feel safer from shelling.

In short, I say I am doing well, how about you brother?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I call your family they ask me, the same question, specially your Mom,"How are you and how is Hani " do you see him is he doing OK, I say to them , we are OK, we are worried about you and you ask how we are doing, I called because we are worried about you and you are worried about us, you are in bad situation we are the one worried about you, and I keep say that again and again choking of tears and I don't want her to know that I am and my heart bounding because I am afraid to hear bad news finally I say to them may God be with you and I hang up then I say thanks God for not hearing bad new from them.

Anonymous said...

GOD BE WITH THEM ALL..

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template