Early Morning Run
3. White people at the Starbucks reading a newspaper or working on a laptop pretending like they have something important to write about. There are few non-whites there, but mostly white folks—ones who can spare 4 bucks on a gourmet latte of course.
4. African-Americans at the local McDonald’s. They beat me to it, this place has a really awesome breakfast menu with low prices—if you do not mind the calories it’s a wonderful place to get your pancakes on the go as well as a good cup of Joe (minus the talkative barista)
7. Truck drivers delivering fresh food to various stores, cafés, and restaurants. I don’t mind them doing their work until they block the streets, sidewalks and alleys, forcing me to cross the street or leap over their truck (if they are under 8 feet high).
8. Security guards getting on with their jobs or coming home from a late shift from a government building or an upscale condo in the Metro area. For a second, I think they’re the cops and run a bit faster.
10. Some random construction worker urinating in public on an SUV that gives him cover from onlookers and street cameras. Is he fighting the power through a symbolic, resistant act, or just needing to pee badly right then?
11. Various government agencies keeping an eye on the Muslims to make sure they are there for prayer and not a planning party. They glance at me, but since most Arabs don’t jog, they figure I don’t fit the profile.
[Tarboush Tip: Peter, Yousef]