Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Here, You Pay What You Want!



News story about a hybrid model of a Panera Bread company and a Not-For-Profit. The concept goes as this, you order what you like and pay your fair share. You do not hand the food to a cashier, but rather put the money in a donation box. No tax, nothing...you just donate what you think your food cost...feel free to pay up or down.

The national bakery and restaurant chain launched a new nonprofit store here this week that has the same menu as its other 1,400 locations. But the prices are a little different — there aren't any. Customers are told to donate what they want for a meal, whether it's the full suggested price, a penny or $100.

The new store in the upscale St. Louis suburb of Clayton is the first of what will Panera hopes will be many around the country. Ronald Shaich, Panera's CEO until last week, was on hand at the new bakery Monday to explain the system to customers.



Here is my concern
  1. Do they take credit cards/checks? Will people then use not having cash as an excuse not to pay for their food?
  2. Does they city where the store is have ordinance about squatting and homeless people? Not sure if Clayton has a problem with homeless people.
  3. You do not want the wrong people to take advantage of it...you know how rich people like to feel like they are getting a deal
  4. How will that work cross-culturally? I know this will bring a lot of money if it was geared around Arabs....we like to show off when we make a donation (I guess most people do anyway, but Arabs/Mormons tend to eat in groups more often)

1 comments:

BEN on May 20, 2010 at 3:02 AM said...

Interesting concept. I think I share your same concerns. I don't carry much cash with me. If I eat out, I almost always pay with a credit card. Freeloaders would be a problem, but they can still have security and refuse service to people if they like.

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template