Monday, May 10, 2010

Facebook Free



As a proud Facebook holdout, I was thrilled to hear about the privacy meltdown at this popular social networking website. the same freinds who have been telling me, "Dude, you need to be on Facebook" are still telling me to do just that, but in a quite voice as they themselves have been worried about their privacy.

I was reading this great list put together by Gizmodo that gives you 10 reasons to abandon this site. This list is not the only one telling you to leave this popular site, but it is the most solid list one of them all as those guys seem to know what they are talking about where they have done some research of the downsides of the network. you can read it here

4. Facebook is not technically competent enough to be trusted

Even if we weren't talking about ethical issues here, I can't trust Facebook's technical competence to make sure my data isn't hijacked. For example, their recent introduction of their "Like" button makes it rather easy for spammers to gain access to my feed and spam my social network. Or how about this gem for harvesting profile data? These are just the latest of a series of Keystone Kops mistakes, such as accidentally making users' profiles completely public, or the cross-site scripting hole that took them over two weeks to fix. They either don't care too much about your privacy or don't really have very good engineers, or perhaps both.

I know you love your Facebook, there are many good things that come out of it....I do not deny that. There is also the fact that you are unable to take your network with you. But as someone who has never got into the Facebook business, I am glad to keep it that way. I also read that potential employers can pay to get your Facebook profile to see what kind of goof you are.

When I first heard about Facebook I think it was 2005/2006 back at BYU, when my friends where asking me if I am on it, I said no and that was a normal answer back then, not too many people had an account there. But then few people I particularity liked wanted me to join, I almost did in Summer of 2007, but then the Shiz hit the fan in Gaza and the takeover of Gaza preoccupied me. All of a sudden the people I loved and almost got me into Facebook are no longer my friends so I was like, "it would have been awkward"

I do not have anything to hide, but I do not feel like let me guard down and I do not like people snooping around into my private life. Yes, I do have this blog, but this is the Hantizer blog.



0 comments:

 

Blogroll

My Hanitizer

My Assault on Proper English Must Go On

Text

Hanitizer Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template